Back to Results
Monica H. Ultmann, MD
Accepting New Patients
Meet Monica H. Ultmann, MD
Director, Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrics; Clinical Professor, Tufts University School of Medicine
Department + Services
Pediatrics, Pediatrics, Developmental-Behavioral
Clinical Focus Areas
Developmental disabilities, autism, literacy
Research Focus Areas
Literacy emergence in children with developmental disabilities
Seeing Patients In
Locations + Directions
Tufts Children's Hospital
Floating Building, 2nd Floor
755 Washington St.
Box 334 Boston, MA 02111
Phone #: 617-636-8100
Fax #: 617-636-5621
Honors + Awards
2020, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2018/2019, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2017, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2016, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2015, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
Publications + National Presentations
1. Monica Ultmann: “Developmental Disabilities Literacy Promotion Guide for Pediatric Healthcare Providers,” in collaboration with the staff and professionals of the Reach Out and Read National Center and funded by CVS Caremark. January, 2011.
2. J. Ikeda, B. Davitt, M. Ultmann, R. Maxim, and O. Cruz: "Brief Report: Incidence of Ophthalmologic Disorders in Children with Autism." Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, (DOI) 10.1007/s10803-012-1475-2, 2012.
3. Carolyn Bridgemohan, MD; David Cochran, MD, PhD; Yamini Howe, MD; Laura Sices, MD, MS; Andrew W. Zimmerman, MD; George M. Anderson, PhD; Roula Choueiri, MD; Karen Miller, MD; Monica Ultmann, MD; Jessica Helt, PPCNP-BC, MSN, RN; Peter W. Forbes, MA; Katherine Pawlowski, BA; Laura Farfale, BA; Stephanie J. Brewster, MS; Jean A. Frazier, MD; Ann Neumeyer, MD; on behalf of the Autism Consortium Biomarkers Study Clinicians: “Investigating Behavioral Characteristics and Potential Biomarkers in Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder Recruited from Developmental Specialty Clinics (Manuscript Submitted for Publication to the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders May, 2016).
1. “Autism Spectrum Disorders- From Chromosomes to Cranium to Communities: Sorting The Pieces of a Complex Puzzle” for the Autism Seminar Series, The Autism Program, The Hope School Learning Center, Springfield, IL: April, 2007.
2. “Autism Spectrum Disorders- An Early Intervention and Medical Perspective. From the Chromosome to the Cranium to the Community: Sorting the Pieces of a Complex Puzzle” Presented jointly with Rebecca Trammel, CCC- SLP,Clinic Director – SIUC Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders to Child and Family Connections, Illinois Medical Diagnostic Training, Mt. Vernon, IL: March, 2008.
3. “A Diagnosis on the Autism Spectrum: What Does It Really Mean for Now and for the Future?”. Presented at the Southern Illinois Perinatal Network PreConference: Trends in Autism and Early Intervention, Fairview Heights, IL: September, 2008.
4. “Autism” on TuftsMedicalCenter.tv, November 2010. (http://wwwtuftsmedicalcenter.tv)
Monica H. Ultmann, MD is a Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrician, Director of the CCSN at Tufts Children's Hospital, Division Director of Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrics in the Department of Pediatrics, and Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at Tufts University School of Medicine. For the majority of her clinical career, Dr. Ultmann has worked with toddlers and preschool children and their families, emphasizing early identification and treatment of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Prior to moving to Boston, for over two decades, Dr. Ultmann served as the Developmental Pediatric Consultant to Child and Family Connections, the Illinois Early Intervention (EI) Program, evaluating children, working directly with families, and training EI providers throughout Southern Illinois. Dr. Ultmann’s advocacy and research interest is in literacy emergence in children with developmental disabilities. Working collaboratively with the Reach Out and Read (ROR) National Center, she wrote a training manual for Pediatric Primary Care Providers in 2010, “Developmental Disabilities Literacy Promotion Guide for Pediatric Healthcare Providers,” which is currently being updated and will include a training module for ROR providers.
News, Media + Videos