Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Family Support + Education
Ensuring your child enjoys the best quality of life can be overwhelming, not only for your child, but for you and your family. Our team understands the challenges you and your child face, and we’re dedicated to providing you with the support and information you need.
Supporting families is an essential part of our practice
The Pediatric Physiatry team at Tufts Children's Hospital can support and advise you in a number of ways, including:
- Advocating for your child with teachers and school officials
- Instructing you how to use equipment, such as braces, orthotics and intrathecal baclofen pumps, at home
- Reviewing your child’s medications and their potential side effects
- Discussing at-home adaptations that can facilitate your child’s safety, comfort and rehabilitation
- Providing essential information about working with insurance providers
- Recommending physical therapists, occupational therapists and speech therapists
- Researching potential funding sources for equipment or prescriptions not covered by insurance
- Recommending IEP (Individual Education Plans) to help your child not only stay in school but continue to learn, develop and progress
- Providing referrals for psychological and/or social support and care for your child — and for you and your family — as you manage an often stressful process
- Helping you find credible and helpful resources, online and in your community, about treatment and rehabilitation
Additionally, our team is experienced in coordinating ongoing care for your child in your community, including physical therapy and follow-up appointments, so your child can receive high-quality care while minimizing your travel.